Dr. Cu Huy Ha Vu at his trial in 2011 (source: Internet)
Project 88, June 10, 2013 – Dr. Cu Huy Ha Vu, prominent Vietnamese lawyer and activist, sentenced to 7 years of imprisonment for spreading anti-government propaganda in 2011, started a hunger strike on May 27th, 2013, to protest against maltreatments by jail officials.
In an open letter on June 4, 2013, his wife, attorney Duong Ha, described the situation as follow: “… he is being severely maltreated through his detainment at Prison No. 5 – Department of Police in Yên Định, Thanh Hoá.
The staff at this prison are intentionally disregarding the articles of the law applicable to their prisoners, particularly to Dr Cu. His most recent letter of denunciation has been suppressed for 180 days without reply, and so in protest Dr Cu Huy Ha Vu has had no other option but to go on a hunger strike.
On 4 June 2013, Dr Cu Huy Ha Vu reached his 9th day of hunger strike, his health rapidly deteriorating. His life is highly threatened as he has a congenital heart disease, along with multiple illnesses acquired throughout his imprisonment.”
Please send messages to relevant Vietnamese public authorities, demanding them to:
– talk to Dr. Cu Huy Ha Vu about the resolutions of issues that constituted the reasons for his hunger strike.
– allow family’s doctors and international human rights organizations’ representatives to visit Cu Huy Ha Vu, to assure the public about his health condition
– end all maltreatments by jail officials to prisoners
– free Dr. Cu Huy Ha Vu and all political prisoners
Suggested message in Vietnamese:
“Tôi yêu cầu nhà nước Việt Nam
– nói chuyện với Tiến sĩ Cù Huy Hà Vũ về những giải pháp cho các vấn đề khiến ông tuyệt thực
– cho phép bác sĩ của gia đình và đại diện các tổ chức nhân quyền quốc tế tới thăm TS Cù Huy Hà Vũ, để dư luận được biết về tình hình sức khỏe của ông.
– chấm dứt những hành vi ngược đãi tù nhân
– trả tự do cho các tù nhân chính trị.”
Please send electronic messages via the online contact form to:
The National Assembly of Vietnam:
Mr. Nguyen Tan Dung, Prime Minister of Vietnam: http://thutuong.chinhphu.vn:2012/Utilities/Contact.aspx
The Ministry of Public Security:
And other representatives.
If possible, please let us know if you have taken action, so that we know how many voices have been raised for Cu Huy Ha Vu.
Project 88 – June 10, 2013 Read More